Step by Step Instructions
Write Your Articles Off-Line
It’s hard to stress this too much. We know
Open a New Post
- If you are logged in, simply click on the NEW button in the black menu bar at the top of your page and select POST.
- If you are not logged in, click on the HELP button on the main menu and select New Post from the drop down menu. (You will be logged in automatically when you do this.)
Insert Your Headline
- Insert your headline in the box under ADD NEW POST
- Go to the bottom of the page and click on SAVE DRAFT
Insert Article Text
- Make sure that the Text Editor is in Visual Mode. If it is not, then click on Visual.
- Copy the entire text from your word processor and paste it into the text box, as shown here:
- Review your text. If you have lost your paragraph breaks, replace them manually. There should be one double-space between paragraphs.
- Save your work again.
- We recommend that you write a 225 character summary of your article. (This will often be identical with the lead sentence of your first paragraph.)
- If you do not do this, the system will use the first 225 characters from your article.
- Make sure that the excerpt ends with a complete word plus an ellipsis (…) to indicate that there is more to follow.
- Check the length of the excerpt by using a word processor to write it, then copy and paste excerpt into the Except Box below the Text Box.
- If you did not add text formatting (boldface or italic) BEFORE the transfer, you can add formatting to your text. (All of the formatting tools shown above are available to you.)
- If you are using sub-heads (recommended for articles longer than 800 words,) highlight the TEXT you want to use as the sub-head, click on the paragraph drop-box, and select HEADLINE 3. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER HEADLINE SIZE.
- Do not change ink colors. Use only black ink.
- Save your work
- We recommend that each article have at least three hyperlinks. Search engines like hyperlinks.
- Sometimes hyperlinks do not get transferred properly. It is important that you check to make sure that the hyperlinks are in place.
- If the hyperlinks are missing, go through your draft, find each occurrence where a hyperlink should be, highlight the anchor text and insert the correct URL for that hyperlink.
- Here are the steps for creating hyperlinks:
- Highlight the anchor text.
- This is usually the name of a person who is being quoted or the name of the source publication.
- Click on the hyperlink insertion tool (shown above.)
- Paste the hyperlink into the text box (shown below)
- Click on the Blue Arrow to save the hyperlink.
- The system is set up to open the new document in a new window automatically.
- Images must be royalty-free, common domain materials or your own original work product.
- Images must be present on your hard drive.
- Position your cursor where you want the image to appear.
- Upload images by clicking on the ADD MEDIA button at the top of the text box.
- Click on the SELECT FILE button as shown below
- Find the image on your directory.
- Click on the image you want and then click on the OPEN button at the bottom of the form.
- This stores the image in your private media library.
- This system works for images and video clips.
- DO NOT USE THE ADD SLIDER BUTTON. BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN!
Inserting Inline Images
- To insert an image or a video, position the cursor at the point where you want to insert the image, and click on the ADD MEDIA button.
- Select any image listed in your media library and the image will appear in your text.
- If the image or video isn’t in your media library, position the cursor where you want the image to appear, click on ADD MEDIA then on UPLOAD FILES, select the image you want to insert, then click on OPEN at the bottom of the dialogue box.
- Once the image has been inserted, you can control the size and placement of the image using the placement controls shown below.
- Once the image has been placed, it cannot be moved in the visual mode. If you want to reposition the image, delete the current image by clicking on the X , move the cursor to the correct position, click on the ADD MEDIA button and re-select the desired image.
- Categories are used to determine in which section of the website the article will appear.
- Each article can have one – and only one – category.
- Go to the Categories box, and click on the arrow in the drop box.
- You can choose any of the categories in Group A. (Do not choose Category A itself.)
- These are the same 12 categories that appear on the main menu in the GREEN BAR at the top of this page.
- If you choose ANY other category, your article will appear on the Home Page BUT IT WILL NOT APPEAR ON THE CATEGORY PAGES. Do not do this.
- All articles appear on the home page in the chronological order in which they were published, most recent first.
- The ETC category is a catch-all for articles that don’t fit into any other category.
- We reserve the right to change categories at our discretion.
- Tags are very important. Tags are used to generate the keywords that search engines search for.
- You can add as many tags as you need but we recommend six or less.
- Tags are also used to give credit where credit is due by citing the individuals and organizations you have referenced in your articles.
- Tags are almost always proper nouns, and include the names of individuals and organizations mentioned in your article.
- If you mention an individual or an organization in your article, then those individuals and organizations should be listed in the tags.
- Separate tags with commas.
Setting the Featured Image
- DO THIS LAST: Adding the Featured Image should be the last thing you do before you publish an article. This prevents you from publishing articles prematurely.
- Every article must have a featured image. The featured image will appear in the excerpt of your article on the Home Page and the Category pages.
- Featured Images MUST BE 64O pixels wide and 480 pixels tall or a 1.333 to 1 ratio.
- The featured image will ALSO appear ABOVE the headline for your article when the article is displayed on the screen.
- You can use any image in your media library for your featured image. You cannot use a video clip.
- Simply click on SET FEATURED IMAGE, then click on SELECT FILE and select any image in your media library.
- You can use your own picture as your featured image.
- We reserve the right to replace offensive or otherwise inappropriate images.
- Do not use the featured image in the text of your article.
Publish Your Articles
- Do a final save on your article by clicking SAVE DRAFT.
- Right click on the PREVIEW button and select “Open in a New Window.” This will open up a copy of the article as it will appear on the website.
- Review your work then click on the PUBLISH button.
- Articles are published immediately after you click on the publish button.
- It is a good practice to immediately return to the Home Page and review your article there.
- If you need to edit or revise your article, you can do so simply by scrolling to the bottom of the article and clicking on the EDIT button that you will find there.
- Save the changes by clicking on the UPDATE button, which will replace the PUBLISH button on the dialog box.
- Authors cannot delete articles. If you need to delete an article. contact one of the editors for assistance.